City: Lima, Coast // Activities: Cooking class, local market tour, exotic fruit tasting, Pisco tasting, Chocolate workshop //
Peru is famous for its outstanding kitchen and offers a wide range of culinary experiences. This gastronomical tour of 3 experiences including a cooking class with a local market tour where you try exotic fruits, a deluxe Pisco tasting with lunch or dinner and a chocolate workshop will make sure you get to know some of the fundamental pillars making up the Peruvian gastronomy. This is your chance to learn to prepare famous dishes, such as a Lomo Saltado (or another dish listed below) and also to explore the local market to try some of the exotic fruits you can find in Peru. Of course you also have to find out more about Peru's national drink, the Pisco. With this Pisco tasting you will discover its unique characteristics and why it is so popular. The tasting will be accompanied by a delicious Peruvian lunch or dinner. As a desert, you will enjoy a sweet chocolate workshop in which you will learn more about the history of chocolate in Peru and about all the fabrication processes. Don't worry, it's not a typical theoretical class because you will try a lot of chocolate and you even get to take your own with you.
*the following itinerary is just exemplary; you're free to choose the order of the activities/tours (f.e. you can do them on two days straight or with an off-day in between).
For the cooking class, you have to choose among the next dishes:
Fish: The Peruvian dish you cook with fish is "Sudado de Pescado" - Steamed Fish (main course), with red onions and fresh herbs.
Chicken: The dish you prepare with chicken is "Aji de Pollo" - Chili chicken (main course), consists of thin strips of chicken served with a creamy yellow and spicy sauce, made with aji amarillo (yellow chilis), cheese, milk and cronchi bread. As a starter, we will teach you to prepare the two most typical starters, Papa a la Huancaina (Huancayo-style potatoes) and Ocopa Ariquipeña. The Huancaina sauce comes from the middle of the Andes of Peru whereas the Ocopa sauce comes from the south of the Andes near Cusco. Both starters consist of a creamy, slightly spicy sauce, one made with the freshest aromatic herbs from the mountains while the other is made with fresh local chili and cheese sauce. Both are served with native, organic, sliced and boiled potatoes.
Beef: Are you ready to prepare the delicious "Lomo saltado" (main course)? Beef tenderloin slices, fried with onions, tomatoes, aji (hot peppers) and more spices. It is served with french fries and rice. For starters, you will cook the super delicious "Causa Limeña" - mashed organic yellow potatoes seasoned with lime, aji and filled with fresh seasonal local veggies (it's not that spicy).
Vegetarian: Try cooking Pimento Relleno (main course) which is pepper filled with fresh vegetables and organic herbs from the north of the country. For starters, you will prepare "Solterito", in English "Single menu", with green peas, faba beans, quinua and olive oil.
Included:Cooking Class & Market Tour:
- Private transport included (only if the departure is in Miraflores, Barranco, San Isidro o Centro de Lima)
- Local market tour in Surquillo
- Professional guide in Spanish and English
- Peruvian cooking class with a professional chef
- Lunch, choose one of the following possibilities:
- Fish: Sudado de Pescado or Ceviche
- Chicken: Aji de Pollo or Papas a la Huacaina
- Beef: Lomo Saltado or Causa Limeño
- Vegetarian: Pimento Relleno or Solterito
Deluxe Pisco Tasting + Dinner:
- Pisco history: 20 minutes (name, reasons of an origin denomination)
- Characteristics of the Pisco: 30 minutes (pisqueras regions, cepas pisqueras, types of Pisco, production process and differences to other drinks)
- Tasting of a variety of grapes: 30 minutes (taste of non-aromatic Pisco (4 samples) and taste of aromatic Pisco (4 samples))
- Cocktails with pisco: 40 minutes (versatility of Pisco in cocktails, preparation of iconic cocktails (chilcano, pisco tonic, capitán, canario))
- Pisco and gastronomy: 40 minutes (Pisco as part of Peruvian food and pisco-pairing. The dinner or lunch is prepared based on the ingredients we have available and could be prepared by specifications (allergies, no fish, no meat, etc.). There are 75 different varieties between snacks and main courses to be paired with Pisco.)
- Chocolate workshop
- Make your own chocolate (120g) with dark- or milk chocolate and take it home (equivalent to S/ 35)
- Workshop in Spanish or English
- 3 half-day activities
- Cooking Class & Market Tour: 9:00 am and 2:00 pm (Monday to Friday) in English, in Spanish at 10:30 am and at 2:30 pm (Monday to Sunday)
- Deluxe Pisco Tasting + Dinner: Tuesday to Thursday from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm, Friday to Saturday from 12:30 pm to 11:00 pm
- Chocolate Class (everyday):
- Miraflores: 11:30 am, 2:30 pm, 5:30 pm
- Downtown Lima: 10:00 am, 1:30 pm, 4:00 pm
- Cusco: 11:00 am, 1:30 pm, 4:00 pm
- Pisac: 3:00 pm (flexible schedule)
- Ollantaytambo: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm
Deluxe Pisco Tasting + Dinner:
- Don't wear strong perfumes and don't eat spicy food 4 hours before.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 2 days before
- Minimum 2 people
- Minimum age for the Pisco tasting is 18 years (in case your son or daughter assists, its responsibility of the family)
Terms of Cancelation:
- 1 week before 100% will be reimbursed
- 3 days before only 50% will be reimbursed
- There is no refund for cancellations less than 2 days before the date of the experience.
- The cooking class has a maximum of 6 people.
- The cost is 50% more during holidays on the following dates: 1.01, 1.05, 25.12.
- The experience will not be available on the following dates: 22.02, 19.03, 22.03, 23.03, 24.03, 25.03, 28.07, 29.07, 28.08, 29.08, 24.12 & 25.12 (both not available in the afternoon).
- Let the provider know if you have any allergy and/or food restriction (especially if allergic to milk).
Information about the Local Guides:
We only select the best guides whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local guide.