City: Cusco (Palccoyo), Mountains // Activities: Trekking tour //
Be one of the first travelers to visit the rainbow mountains without a multiple hour hike, tons of people or altitude problems. Please read our blog post about the alternative rainbow mountain tour for more info.
Why you'll love this experience:
|This Experience||Normal Rainbow Mountain|
|Mountain||Palccoyo (3 Rainbow Mountains)||Vinicunca (1 large mountain)|
|Hike Duration||45-60 minutes||2-3 hours|
|Schedule||4.30am - 5pm||3am - 4pm|
|Time on top||2 hours||40 minutes|
|Guide||The best possible||The best possible|
|Participants ES/EN (%)||5/95||5/95|
|Transport with||Small to large van||Small to large van|
The Rainbow Mountain in Peru has received a lot of attention lately and it is definitely one of the top places to visit in Cusco. When you are in the city of the Incas, you have to do the Tres Rainbows hike and get to know these postcard-like mountains and its unique landscape. The Rainbow Mountains in Peru will astonish you immediately because of their variety of colors due to the existing minerals in the soil. This is not the typical trekking tour to the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain where you will be with hundreds of other tourists fighting to get the best photo with no people on it. This is the alternative trek that is not well-known yet! In comparison to the Vinicunca trek, you will not only see "one" Rainbow Mountain but numerous. Also, you will not be complaining about the 3-hour hike as you only hike about 45 minutes to 1 hour and you will already be rewarded with beautiful views. Most importantly, it is very likely that you will not see a large number of people as you do during the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain tour. Enjoy this day trip to the Rainbow Mountains with your tour guide and convince yourself that this is one of the best ones in Cusco, if not in all of Peru! If you want to see what other travellers said about the tour you can check out the review video of the alternative rainbow mountain.
Difficulty of trek: easy - medium
Video sample of the Alternative Rainbow Mountain Trekking Tour
- Private transport with hotel pick-up from all hotels close to the Plaza de Armas (see "Pickup / Drop-off" info below)
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide during the Tres Rainbows hike
- Breakfast (quinoa drink, tea, coffee, bread, omelets, pancakes)
- Trekking poles
- Local snacks and a coca tea when arriving at the mountain
- First-aid kit and oxygen
- Communication radios
- Entrance (S/ 5 for Peruvians, S/ 10 for foreigners)
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco
- 4:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Bring your backpack, a rain cape and layers of clothes so you'll be warm
- Take gloves, a hat, hiking shoes + an extra pair of socks with you (in case of snow) and if you want to you can bring hiking poles as well
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
Terms of Reservation:
- If you want to book for 3 people or more please use the discount code "3PAL" during checkout and you'll get $10 off per person.
- Minimum 1 day before
- Minimum 2 people
- If you buy the group tour and there are not minimum 2 people in total you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 40% refund.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
Pickup / Drop-off:
- Pickup from your hotel (only if your hotel is close to the city center of Cusco. In case you stay further away, meet up at the Plaza de Armas - taxi cost approx. 10-15 Soles)
- Drop-off at Plaza de Armas (due to the rush hour that might leave you waiting 1-2 hours in the van in case we'd drop-off every participant)
- Private tours include pickup from- and drop-off at the hotel.
- We are not to be hold liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
- The price for children under 9 years old is $83 (please contact us in case you want to do the tour with your children.
Exploor's Exclusive tours combine unique experiences with great deals and are operated directly by Exploor.
Information about the Local Guides:
We only select the best guides whose services comply with our quality and security standards.