City: Puno, Mountains // Activities: Visit of Uros floating islands, lake titicaca tour, overnight homestay with local family //
Why you'll love this experience:
Probably one of the most special places in the world to spend the night.
Learn first hand from locals about the way of life and interact with them.
Imagine a tour in which you are not just told about locals and how they live but a tour that allows you to actually live with them. This lake titicaca tour to the floating islands of Uros in Puno, which is a must visit for everyone in Puno, includes an overnight homestay on the island with a local family. The islands are artificial islands made of totora reeds, an aquatic plant that grows in the lake. Find out about their traditions, how they live, what they eat and everything you would like to know. You will fish with them, prepare typical food, make handcrafts with the totora reeds from the lake and observe typical birds and plants of the Titicaca National Reserve. Are you ready to sleep on an island on the Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world, and really find out how its people live?
You will be picked up at your hotel in Puno at 10:00 am to head towards the lake Titicaca. From here, you will take a fishing boat for aprox. 30 minutes that will take you to the famous Uros floating islands. Having arrived at the islands, the local family awaits you already and explains you about their traditions, their constructions and their way of life on the lake Titicaca.
After lunch, you will go fishing in a typical boat made of totora reef. Afterwards, you will learn how the totora reed is cut and used for building the islands, the boats, handicrafts etc. The inhabitants of the islands will teach you how to make your own handicrafts made of totora reefs. At night, you will have dinner together with the locals and then you will sleep on the floating islands of Uros.
Early in the morning at 7:00 am, you will get out the fishing nets and check the caught native fish from the Titicaca lake. Next, you will enjoy a typical breakfast and at aprox. 9:00 am you will return to your hotel in the city of Puno.
- Tourist transportation and hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Professional, bilingual tour guide (English and Spanish)
- Entrance fee
- 1 night with a local family living on the islands of Uros
- Lunch, dinner and breakfast
2 days/1 night
- Comfortable sneakers for walking and light clothing for the mornings but winter clothing for cold night
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
- You might want to drink coca leaf tea (this helps to fight against high altitude sickness)
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 2 days before
- Minimum 2 people
Terms of Cancelation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 40% refund.