City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Amazon jungle trek, bird watching, boat tour, fishing //
Welcome to an unforgettable tour in the Amazon jungle of Iquitos! An intense blue in the sky, a hidden sound that slowly wraps you, a familiar smell of freedom, a warming sensation emanating from your skin. Although it may sound like a song, there is such a place: the amazon rainforest. Come to Iquitos and dare to live an adventure in the nature, far from the hustle and bustle of the city; with boat rides throughout the Amazon River that will delight your senses and renew your spirit. Get in touch with the city and its colors, explore its protected reserves and immerse yourself in the local flavors while tasting exotic jungle beverages. Don’t spend much time thinking about it, put on your sunglasses and grab your suitcase because with this Iquitos Amazon tour fun is guaranteed.
After a while, you will make a little stop at Isla de Monos (monkey island), in which endangered species of monkeys of the Peruvian jungle are protected and preserved. Watch the various monkey species living in complete freedom in a reserve without any cages.
Afterwards, you will continue the ride for around 60 minutes. Once you arrive at the lodge, the staff will greet and receive you with a refreshing regional fruit juice. Then, the check-in will be done, and you will be taken to your room so you can relax a little. Afterwards, you will be led to the restaurant of the lodge so you can enjoy your first meal during the Amazon tour in Iquitos.
In the afternoon, the first Amazon tour will start along with experienced guides walking through the Yanamono Reserve for almost 2 hours. There, you will be able to identify diverse fauna species, such as Helicona flowers, medicinal plants and giant trees. On the way, you can see different bird species and with a lot of luck you are likely to see some families of little monkeys.
Afterwards, you will go back to the lodge so you can rest before seeing your first sunset in the Amazon rainforest. When night falls, especially in the flooding river season, you will enjoy a magical open boat tour through one of the Amazon River’s tributaries, with no lighting, only with some beams from flora and fauna of the Amazon jungle. If there is a clear sky, you will see the wonderful moonlight, as well as the stars. You will return to the lodge for dinner and rest afterwards.
In the afternoon of your Amazon tour in Iquitos, there will be a short boat trip to the lagoon in Yanamono Island, where the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of water lilies, can be seen. Nowadays known as Victoria Amazónica, this shallow water native flower of the Amazon River’s basin grows mostly in lakes and wetland and can grow as much as 40 cm in diameter and is pollinated by beetles. The Victoria Amazónica flower is well known by its immense circular leaf. Usually, it is shown with a little child sitting in the center of its leaf with the purpose of seeing its magnitude and strength.
At night, you will walk through nature within the perimeters of the lodge and witness the charming transformation of the jungle to a nocturnal environment. While adapting to the dark environment of the jungle, you will appreciate how nature adopts a different character and you can observe the different habits of the nocturnal animals of the jungle. This is the best time to observe frogs, timid snakes and other creatures that only move during the night. You will be able to differentiate a completely different range of fauna from what is usually found during the day, listening to the magical sounds of insects, birds, cats and owls. After around 30 minutes, you will return to the lodge to enjoy dinner and rest pleasantly.
- 2 nights of single or double room accommodation in Heliconia Amazon River Lodge with all the meals (2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners)
- Isla de Monos visit
- Amazon jungle trek
- Boat tour at night
- Pink dolphins searching
- Victorias Regias watching
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour and artisanal trapiche visit
- Beverages in general: sodas, juices, fizzy drinks and/or liquor
- Airline tickets Lima/ Iquitos/ Lima
- Airport tax in Lima and Iquitos
- Coordinate with the provider
- 3 days and 2 nights
- Book your plane ticket with Lat Am, many of the other airlines often have delays.
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel 15 days before arriving, there won't be a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 14 and 5 days before arriving, you will receive a refund of 60%.
- If you cancel less than 5 days before arriving, there will not be any refunds.
- The operator will wait for you at the airport counter number 5 in the baggage claim area.
- The program can vary depending on the arrivals and departures of the flights as well as on the weather conditions.
- For your trip to Iquitos book you flights in the morning and for your return to Lima in the afternoon.
- Transfers from Iquitos to Heliconia in the morning 10:00 am (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- Transfers from Heliconia to Iquitos 2:00 pm (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- It is recommended to organise a backpack/ small suitcase with all the necessary belongings for your time in the Amazon in advance. The rest of your luggage will be kept safe during your stay in the lodge.
- For this special weekend program, the luggage is restricted to 1 small suitcase per person.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best tour operators whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.