City: Cusco, Mountains // Activities: Trekking //
Welcome to the 2-day Inca Trail! Get to know the historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu, humanity heritage since 1983 and one of the 7 wonders of the modern world since 2007. Take a comfortable train trip heading towards the beginning of the Inca Trail, and fall in love with the beautiful Andean landscapes, snow capped mountains, and splendid valleys, such as the Sacred Valley.
Put your boots on for a trekking tour next to the Urubamba River and visit important archeological sites, such as Chachabamba and Wiñaywayna. Relax in the famous tourist city of Aguas Calientes and get ready for Machu Picchu. On the second day, you will enjoy the beautiful Andean sunrise and continue the journey towards the citadel of the Incas. This tour is perfect for people that want to enter Machu Picchu via the Inca Trail, but don’t have too much experience in trekking or don’t have much time to do the Inca trail of 4 days. It is also possible to do it this short version of the Inca Trail (10 km/6.3 miles) with young children (9-14 years old). Would you let this great opportunity get away?
ONE DAY BEFORE THE START OF THE INCA TRAIL
Briefing in your hotel in Cusco. The time will be determined by your guide.
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
to check the availability click: http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ > switch to English (UK flag) > Queries > choose month of travel > see availability of Inca Trail permits
- Personalised service (up to 8 people max. per group)
- Briefing one day before the tour in your hotel
- Pick up from Hotel to Ollantaytambo Train Station and Expedition train ticket from Ollantaytambo to km 104
- One way bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (one way)
- Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco
- Entrance to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Professional and experienced tour guide fluent in English, specialized in hiking the Inca Trail and trained in first aid and rescue (will be with you from the first to the last day)
- One night in a 3*-hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Emergency equipment and first-aid kit
- Radio communication
- Food: Box lunch for the walk on the Inca Trail (first day), dinner at a local restaurant or at the hotel, and breakfast for the following day at the hotel.
- Hiking poles
- Breakfast on the first day, lunch and dinner on the last day
- Bus on the second day to/from Machu Picchu
- Personal porter to carry your personal items on the Inca Trail
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
- The tour starts at 5:30 am on your first day.
- If you have reserved the Inca Trail with your old Passport and then you have renewed it and obtained another one, your passport number has most likely changed. Please let the guide know so he can update this information. This modification has to be made at least 10 days before your trip to Peru. Otherwise, this update or modification will have an additional cot of $ 12 and it will create a big inconvenience to update the information last minute.
- Important: If you do not bring your passport, you won’t be given entrance to the Inca Trail.
- If you have medical restrictions for some or all the activities detailed in your booking please contact your doctor and inquire about the risks of doing said activities.
- Arrive 2-3 days before your trek to avoid the Altitude Sickness (Soroche) and stomach pain provoked by slow digestion.
- Altitude sickness: some of the symptoms are headache and nausea. There are some over the counter medication (pills) that help to minimize the symptoms, such as Glucosa Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Soroichi Pill, and Acetazolamida among others. If the symptoms persist, the use of oxygen is the next step. Under these circumstances the operator has the necessary equipment and staff to assist you.
- Stomach pain: Drink between 3-4 liters of water per day so your body will stay hydrated. Hot drinks or meals are especially recommended, such as coca leaf tea, soups, vegetables, and carbohydrates (not fried or heavy). Candy, chocolates, cookies and fruits are also a good option. In general, all food that is easy to digest. Do not drink alcohol or smoke.
- Try to sleep at least 8 hours and do not exercise too much. Keep your body in good temperature wearing warm clothes to protect yourself from the cold. While adjusting to the altitude there is a general rule to follow: eat what is necessary and drink plenty of liquids.
What to pack for the Inca Trail:
Take only whatever is necessary for the trek and leave the rest at the hotel.
- A hiking/trekking backpack (15 liters capacity)
- Hiking Poles with rubber tips (can be rented from the operator)
- Trekking clothing: hiking shoes, waterproof pants, waterproof shorts, two shirts, a light sweater, jacket for rain, and clothes to rest in at the hotel. On the other hand, it is quite comfortable and relaxing for the body to wear light clothes for the walk; for this, waterproof materials are very good, because they enable quick drying from sweat and rain.
- Overnight stay in Aguas Calientes: Please bring with you a clean set of clothes to wear after the trekking. Also, you can bring along swimwear and towels if you decide to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal Hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrush, and wet wipes)
- Personal medicine, medicine for altitude sickness (such as Coramina, Aspirina, Diamox, Sorojchi, Acetazolamida) and Anti Blister Gel to avoid getting blisters on your feet and being unable to continue your trek.
- Digital Camera with an external memory (optional)
- Sunglasses and sun block SPF 60 (UVA-UVB)
- Waterproof insect repellent lotion, no spray.
- Swiss army knife
- Water bottle made of flexible plastic (from Platypus, this type of bottle is very easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space; the operator will be refilling water throughout the trek.)
Terms of Reservation:
- It is necessary to book this trek in advance, as it has a limited capacity of 500 people per day divided into 2 seperate times. The first group starts the trek at 7:00 am and the second group at 10:00 am. The earlier you book, the better the train times we can organize for you.
- For reservations within 1 month before the start of the tour, it's possible that the train times will differ from what is indicated due to availability reasons. Thus, it is possible that you arrive to Cusco in the evening or at night instead of in the afternoon.
Terms of Cancelation:
- Due to the strict regulations established by Machu Picchu Park, once you have made your booking, it will not be possible to receive any refunds as all the purchases will be made right away. It is also impossible to transfer the permit to someone else under a different name, nor can the date of your permit be modified.
- In the event that you decide to withdraw from the Inca Trail once it has started, you will be responsible for all additional charges such as: food and transport that might occur because of the modification of your itinerary. However, you can join the group again for the visit to Machu Picchu citadel and the use of the same services from that point onwards.
- In the event that you decide to cancel the trip due to a health issue or personal problem, the above cancelation policies will be applied as the company has already had administrative and logistic expenses for your tour.