City: Cusco (Sacred Valley), Mountains // Activities: Hiking with llamas, local community visit //
This hiking day tour with llamas in Cusco is an educational and cultural visit of the Sacred Valley and the local community that you will get to know. You will walk with the llamas by the river crossing native forests, learning about the benefits of using them as pack animals instead of horses and also about the challenges faced by llameros from high Andean communities. After hiking for a bit you will enjoy a delicious picnic in the mountains that the llamas walking in front of you are carrying. This hiking tour with llamas is probably one of the most unique ways of getting to know the local communities and the Andean mountains.
Difficulty: medium - more intense (8.7 km)
Notas: Minimum 2 people. Please contact us before making the reservation in order to check the availability.
Once you arrive at Saywapata (meeting point, 3290 m / 10,790 ft), you will be received by members of the Llameros Communal Guild who bring their llamas from their community early in the morning for the hiking tour. The guide explains the objectives of his project, provides safety recommendations and proceeds to charging the llamas. Then, it's time to start the hiking tour with llamas. The walk begins along the river by a pedestrian path of uneven terrain with varied slopes of greater and lesser difficulty, passing through native forests, rock formations and representative landscapes of mountain ecosystems.
Once you have reached the community of Cancha Cancha (3950 m / 12,960 ft), you will be surrounded by three spectacular snowy peaks: Chicón, Sirihuani and Sahuasiray. There are more than 70 families dedicated to agriculture and self-subsistence grazing and you will be able to see the traditional architecture of buildings based on stone and ichu. You'll be invited to the house of one of their hosts to enjoy the picnic. At this point, you will have the opportunity to talk to them assisted and ask questions about everything that interests you. If you wish you can also go out to enjoy the spectacular scenery or explore the area. Afterwards, you will return to the base camp with the llamas.
- Bilingual guide (English/Spanish)
- Snack: fruits, candy bar and water
- Picnic: Fruit salad, yogurt, granola, three different sandwiches (chicken with mayonnaise, avocado and cheese, tomato and cheese), cookies, cake, coca and mate tea
- Members of the local community
- Hiking tour with llamas
- First-aid kit
- Transport from Cusco (in case you choose the tour without transport), you have the following options:
- Take a taxi from Cusco to Urubamba (cost aprox. S/ 60 one-way, S/ 120 both ways) and then a taxi from the Urubamba market to the meeting point in the mountains (aprox. S/ 30 both ways; tell your driver to return at the time the experience ends in advance)
- Take a "collectivo" (shared bus, normally a Sprinter, for S/ 8 one-way) from the station at Calle Pavitos at aprox. at 6:30 am. to the Urubamba bus terminal. From there you take a taxi to the meeting point in the mountains.
- 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Take repellent, sunscreen and a camera with you
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 1 week before
- Minimum 2 people
Terms of Cancelation:
- In case you cancel minimum 48 hours before the date of the experience there won't be any cancelation costs.
- In case you cancelled less than 48 hours before the date of the experience or you don't show up, you will be charged 100% of the service.
- In case you are forced to cancel during the hiking tour with llamas due to sickness or an accident, the evacuation process will be proceeded and the entire amount will be charged.
- There won't be any tours between the 17th of December and the 11th of March due to the rainy season.
- The operator has the right to cancel the service if the weather conditions are very bad/dangerous or in case there are strikes. If this happens, you have the right to change the date of your tour (depends on availability) or demand a refund of 40%.