Should I give it a try?
This is the right tour for you if:You love nature and culture (amazing landscapes next to our social project, a local community in the highlands)
The Rainbow Mountain in Peru has received a lot of attention lately and it is definitely one of the top places to visit in Cusco. When you are in the city of the Incas, we highly recommend doing the Tres Rainbows hike and get to know these postcard-like mountains and its unique landscape. The Rainbow Mountains in Peru will astonish you immediately because of their variety of colors due to the existing minerals in the soil. This is not the typical trekking tour to the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain where you will be with hundreds of other tourists fighting to get the best photo with no people on it. This is the alternative rainbow mountain tour on which you will not only see "one" Rainbow Mountain but numerous and only hike 1 hour instead of 3 hours to be rewarded with beautiful views. Also, you will not be bothered by other crowds of people around and you will be accompanied by an alpaca during the hike. Enjoy this day trip to the Rainbow Mountains with your tour guide and you will see that this is one of the best ones in Cusco, if not in all of Peru! If you want to see what other travelers said about the tour you can check out the review video of the alternative rainbow mountain.
3:45-4:00 am: Pick-up from your hotel in Cusco
5:45 am: Breakfast with an incredible view over the valley (WC available)
8:00 am: Visit of the Palccoyo community and its potato museum (created in collaboration with exploor in October 2018)
9:30 am: Arrival at the parking lot (view of the 1strainbow mountain) + Briefing (WC available)
10:00 am: Visit of the 2ndrainbow mountain
10:30 am: Visit of the 3rdrainbow mountain + break with coca tea and local snacks
11:00 am: Hike up to the stone forest (optional) with a spectacular view
11:30 am: Head back to the car (WC available)
12:00 pm: Interaction with locals in the community + snacks
1:50 pm: Lunch in local restaurant (WC available)
4:30-5:00 pm: Arrival at your hotel in Cusco
Note: All times are approximations.
- Private transport with hotel pick-up from all hotels/hostels/AirBnBs close to the Plaza de Armas (see "Pickup / Drop-off" info below)
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide during the Tres Rainbows hike
- Visit of local community (donations are welcome)
- Breakfast and lunch
- Artisanal chocolate snacks made by our "abuelita" (grandma), coca leaves, snack on our way back to the restaurant, and a coca/muña tea when arriving at the mountain
- Hike with Alpaca (it's optional: only joining us in case there is no snow, very low probability of having snow)
- Trekking poles
- First-aid kit and oxygen
- Communication radios
- Entrance to the Rainbow Mountain area (S/ 10)
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco city
- Money for toilet usage in the community (1 sol) or to support them by buying their handicrafts (from 4 up to 100 soles)
- Donations to the community (in case you have old clothes or utilities, such as pens, notebooks etc., you're welcome to bring them)
- Tips for your guide
- It is almost impossible to forecast the weather. Forecasts by google or other weather apps are not reliable, as the weather is unpredictable at this altitude in the mountains. There can be sun, clouds, rain, hail, snow or thunderstorms. Thus, please be prepared and follow our recommendations (our experienced guides know what to do in case the weather turns bad or dangerous)s
- Bring change in order to pay small expenses, such as for using the restroom
- Bring your backpack, a rain cape and layers of clothes so you'll be warm
- Take gloves, a hat, hiking shoes + an extra pair of socks with you (in case of snow) and if you want to you can bring hiking poles as well
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
Terms of Reservation:
- If you want to book for 3 people or more please use the discount code "3PAL" during checkout and you'll get $5 off per person.
- We accept all reservations until 2:00 pm on the day before the tour (only if you send us the required information asked by us in our confirmation mail until 2:00 pm).
- Minimum 2 people
- If you buy the group tour and there are not a minimum of 2 people in total you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
- We are not to be held liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
- The price for children under 9 years old is $83 (please contact us in case you want to do the tour with your children.
- It is possible that the community, as well as the alpaca, are not available due to reasons by the community (sickness, family issues or others). The probability is very very low and we are in daily contact with them to make sure all will be fine for the next day. Still, the probability is there. We are not to be held liable in case of any circumstance and continue with the tour without any refund.