3 Unforgettable Days in Cusco: Machu Picchu Day Tour + Alternative Rainbow Mountain Tour + Humantay Lake Tour (free airport pickup & drop-off included)
City: Cusco, Mountains // Activities: Machu Picchu, Rainbow Mountains, Humantay Lake //
Why you'll love this experience:
Passionate and experienced guides that are happy to share incredible stories with you.
Hike only for 45 minutes instead of 3 hours to the alternative rainbow mountain.
Small (up to 8) instead of a large impersonalized group to keep your experience with your guide special.
Discover the Machu Picchu and make this world wonder a highlight of your Peruvian adventure.
Be one of the first travelers visiting the Humantay Lake that day.
Enjoy the best tours of Cusco in 3 days! A tour to Machu Picchu, to the famous Rainbow Mountains and to the Humantay Lake will make sure that you use your time in Cusco in the best way possible. All three highlights are definitely some of the most beautiful places that you can find in Peru, allowing you to get to know better the history of the Incas and the beauty of Cusco's mountains. Your guide will tell you all the details about Pachacutec, about Hiram Bingham, the discoverer of Machu Picchu and about the historical events and stories related to it with vivid descriptions that make you feel like you are time traveling. Apart from Machu Picchu, you will also get to know the Rainbow Mountains. No worries, this is not the common trekking tour to the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain where you will be with hundreds of other tourists fighting to get the best photo with no people on it. During this alternative tour, you will be one of the first travelers on top of the mountain with this easy 1-hour hike with no crowds around. Apart from that, you will get the chance to visit and support our social project. The last tour leads us to the Humantay Lake, one of the most impressive lakes of Peru. Again, you will be one of the first ones at the lake to enjoy this beautiful landscape almost for yourself. Our tour guide will hike in a flexible pace adapted to your needs until reaching the crystal clear turquoise water of the lake, no matter if you're a beginner or a pro hiker. Within two hours of hiking, you will explore off the normal path spots for incredible photos of the lake and its surroundings. Go for it and enjoy a unique adventure in Cusco!
*the following itinerary is just exemplary; you're free to choose the order of the tours with off-days (f.e. tour 2, day off, tour 1).
After the guided Machu Picchu tour, you will return to the town of Aguas Calientes by bus and you have the option to eat in one of the many restaurants. In the afternoon, you will take the train back and arrive in Ollantaytambo (please arrive at the station 30 minutes before the departure time of your train). When you arrive at the train station in Ollantaytambo, please leave the station because outside your driver guide will be waiting for you to take you to your hotel in Cusco.
3:45-4:00 am: Pick-up from your hotel in Cusco
5:45 am: Breakfast with an incredible view over the valley
8:00 am: Visit of the Palccoyo community and its potato museum (created in collaboration with exploor in October 2018)
9:30 am: Arrival at the parking lot (view of the 1strainbow mountain) + Briefing
10:00 am: Visit of the 2ndrainbow mountain
10:30 am: Visit of the 3rdrainbow mountain + break with coca tea and snacks
11:00 am: Hike up to the stone forest (optional) with a spectacular view
11:30 am: Head back to the car and drive to the restaurant
1:50 pm: Lunch in local restaurant
4:30-5:00 pm: Arrival in Cusco and drop-off at your hotel
Note: All times are approximations.
3:30 am: Pick-up from your hotel in Cusco
5:35 am: Breakfast with an incredible view over the valley
7:40 am: Arrival al parking lot + Briefing
10:10 am: Visit of the Humantay Lake, diverse lookouts and a break with coca tea and local snacks
11:20 am: Head back to the car
1:50 pm: Lunch in local restaurant
4:00 pm: Arrival at your hotel in Cusco
Note: All times are approximations.
- Airport pickup and transport to your hotel in Cusco and transport from your hotel to the airport (only for hotels in Cusco city center)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide
- Private tour or small group tour of 2-8 people (please select above)
- Breakfast and lunch (vegetarian and vegan food options available) during the Rainbow Mountain and to the Humantay lake tour
- Round trip Expedition train tickets
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Mountain (optional and depending on availability*)
- Shuttle tickets Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Aguas Calientes
*If you reserve the tour at least 1 month in advance, it’s very likely that there are still tickets available. Less than 1 month, most likely all tickets are sold out.
Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour:
- Visit of local community
- Snacks: Cookies, coca leaves and a coca/muña tea when arriving at the mountain
- Hike with Alpaca (it's optional: only joining us in case there is no snow, very low probability of having snow)
- Trekking poles
- First-aid kit and oxygen
- Oxygen and first-aid kit
- Communication radios
- Tips for your guide
- Accommodation at night
Alternative Tour to the Rainbow Mountains & Humantay Lake tour:
- Entrance to the Rainbow Mountain area and to the Humantay Lake (S/ 10 each)
- Donations to the community (you're welcome to bring unused clothes or pens, notebooks etc.) on the Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour
- Machu Picchu: Everyday
- Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour: 4:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Humantay Lake tour: 3:30 am - 4:00 pm
- If you don't want to hike up to the Humantay Lake you can rent a horse for S/ 70 that will take you almost to the end of the hike.
- Bring your original passport for the Machu Picchu tour.
- Use only hand luggage for your tour to Machu Picchu, as the maximum weight allowed is 5 kg (you can store your luggage at your hotel in Cusco)
- Bring change in order to pay small expenses, such as for using the restroom or to support the locals by buying their handicrafts (from 4 up to 100 soles). Donations to the community, such as old clothes or utilities, such as pens, notebooks etc. are more than welcome.
- Clothing: Bring your backpack, a rain cape, gloves, a hat, hiking shoes, an extra pair of socks and wear layers of hiking clothes so you'll be warm
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
Terms of Reservation:
Machu Picchu Tour:
- For private tours of Machu Picchu minimum 1 week before. The earlier you book, the better the train times we can organize for you.
- For group tours of Machu Picchu minimum 1 month before.
- Minimum 2 people
Rainbow Mountain Tour & Humantay Lake Tour:
- Minimum 1 day before
- Minimum 2 people
If there are not minimum 2 people in total in the group for your tour you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- There won’t be any refunds for this tour as we proceed with the purchase of the entrance tickets, the train tickets etc. as soon as you have made your reservation.
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 40% refund.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
- Going to Machu Picchu Mountain staying the previous night in:
- Cusco: You'll first hike Machu Picchu Mountain and do the guided Machu Picchu tour afterwards. Your guide will await you at the entrance to Machu Picchu mountain. As the hike to Machu Picchu Mountain is exhaustive, you may feel tired afterwards and won’t enjoy your Machu Picchu tour that much. That’s why we recommend staying in Aguas Calientes the night before if you want to do the Machu Picchu Mountain hike. You will stay around 30 minutes at the top to enjoy the views.
- Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town): You'll first do the Machu Picchu tour and then hike Machu Picchu Mountain. Your guide will drop you off at the entrance to Machu Picchu mountain. From this point on, an official guide provided by the government (private tours are not available) will be with you. You will stay around 30 minutes at the top to enjoy the views.
- The seats in the train are chosen by the train company itself; there is no possibility to influence your seat from our side.
- In the case of flight delays, inconveniences with the train schedule or bad weather (rain, landslides, etc.) we do not assume any responsibility, but your travel insurance most likely will offer coverage for these cases. This also holds for the airport pickup. The driver arrives 5 minutes after your arrival and waits up to 25 minutes outside on the parking lot when leaving the building (with a sign and your name on it). In case of any delays, you’ll have to get to your hotel on your own as the driver has to continue with his work. For any refund on this service, please claim it with your airline.
- If you want to fly your drone at the Palccoyo Rainbow mountain, you have to pay S/ 50 to the local community.
- Bathrooms are available at the breakfast & lunch restaurant and at the parking lot.
- It is possible that the community, as well as the alpaca, are not available due to reasons beyond our control (sickness of community member, family issues or others). The probability is very very low and we are in daily contact with them to make sure everything will be fine for the next day. Still, the probability exists. We are not to be held liable in case no lama or alpaca will be available or in case of any circumstance arising with the animals. We will proceed with the tour without any refund.
- Changes or upgrades are subject to 1.) availability and 2.) an extra charge as stated in our Terms and conditions.