City: Cusco, Mountains // Activities: Trekking to the Rainbow Mountains, Visit of Pisac, Moray, Salt Mines of Maras & Ollantaytambo //
Why you'll love this experience:
Passionate and experienced guides that are happy to share incredible stories with you.
Hike only for 45 minutes instead of 3 hours to the alternative rainbow mountain.
Small (up to 8) instead of a large impersonalized group to keep your experience with your guide special.
Don't rush from site to site like in the typical touristic tour of the Sacred Valley. Enjoy more time at each site and better understand the culture and history of every place.
Within 2 days, you will get to know Cusco's precious natural environment: the sacred valley and the rainbow mountains. During the sacred valley tour, you will discover Pisay, the archaeological site of Moray, the salt mines of Maras and Ollantaytambo, the last stop before heading to Machu Picchu. Depending on your preference, you can stay in Ollantaytambo, continue to Aguas Calientes and visit Machu Picchu in the morning or you can also just return to Cusco. No matter which option you will end up choosing, you will surely be fascinated by the treasures the sacred valley has to offer. The
Reviews of past travelers enjoying our Alternative Rainbow Mountain Trekking Tour
*the following itinerary is just exemplary; you're free to choose the order of the tours with off-days in between (f.e. tour 2, day off, tour 1).
DAY 1: SACRED VALLEY TOUR
Enjoy unique views of the sacred valley from the top of the Pisac ruins and get to know the impressive sites of Maras (we'll only go to the viewpoint, it's forbidden to enter the salt mines) and Moray. Get to know the ceremonial centres and the impressive rock formations of Ollantaytambo before heading back to Cusco.
DAY 2: ALTERNATIVE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR
Explore a hike accompanied by an alpaca to three beautiful rainbow mountains with almost no people around. You'll get to know the local community's potato museum and their alpacas while learning more about their lifestyle and their unique traditions.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide
- Small group tour with 2-8 people
Sacred Valley Tour:
- Lunch buffet (vegetarian and vegan food options available)
Alternative Rainbow Mountain Tour:
- Visit of potato museum in local community
- Breakfast and lunch (vegetarian and vegan food options available)
- Snacks: Cookies, coca leaves and a coca/muña tea when arriving at the mountain
- Hike with Alpaca (it's optional: only joining us in case there is no snow, very low probability of having snow)
- Trekking poles
- First-aid kit and oxygen
- Tips for your guide
Sacred Valley Tour:
- Cusco tourist ticket (partial ticket valid for 2 days S/ 70, general ticket valid for 10 days S/ 130 per person). It gives you entrance to the sights and can be bought directly at the sites we visit so don't worry about purchasing it in advance.
- Entrance to Maras Salt Mines (S/ 10 per person)
Alternative Rainbow Mountain Tour:
- Entrance to the Rainbow Mountain area (S/ 10)
- Donations to the community (you're welcome to bring unused clothes or pens, notebooks etc.)
- Sacred Valley Tour: 6:30 am - 6:00 pm
- Alternative Rainbow Mountain Tour: 4:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Please let us know if you are planning to take a train to Aguas Calientes after the Sacred Valley day tour.
- Bring change in order to pay small expenses, such as for using the restroom or to support the locals by buying their handicrafts (from 4 up to 100 soles). Donations to the community, such as old clothes or utilities, such as pens, notebooks etc. are more than welcome.
- Clothing: Bring your backpack, a rain cape, gloves, a hat, hiking shoes, an extra pair of socks and wear layers of hiking clothes so you'll be warm
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
Terms of Reservation:
- Due to high demand during the high season, please book your tour at least 48 hours in advance to guarantee a spot. We accept all reservations until 2:00 pm on the day before the tour (only if you send us the required information asked by us in our confirmation mail until 2:00 pm).
- Minimum 2 people
If there are not minimum 2 people in total in your group for the day you chose you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 50% refund.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
- We are not to be hold liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
- If you want to fly your drone at the Palccoyo Rainbow mountain, you have to pay S/ 50 to the local community.
- Toilets are available in Pisac, the salt mines of Maras, Moray, at the restaurant in Urubamba and in Ollantaytambo.
- It is possible that the community, as well as the alpaca, are not available due to reasons beyond our control (sickness of community member, family issues or others). The probability is very very low and we are in daily contact with them to make sure everything will be fine for the next day. Still, the probability exists. We are not to be held liable in case no lama or alpaca will be available or in case of any circumstance arising with the animals. We will proceed with the tour without any refund.