City: Cusco, Mountains // Activities: Trekking tour //
Why you'll love this experience:
Be one of the first travellers that get to know Waqrapukara.
You'll see a lot of Peruvian wildlife, such as alpacas and llamas.
Enjoy beautiful views of the Apurimac Canyon.
Video of the Waqrapukara tour from Cusco:
The Waqrapukara tour starts with a pickup from your hotel in Cusco (please check pickup and drop-off info below) at 3:00 am. After that, you will be on the road for around 3 hours. Having arrived at the picnic spot, you will enjoy breakfast at sunrise with a view over the valley to the lake up to the Ausangate in the far. Afterwards, you will continue by car until reaching the trailhead where you will have a short briefing about the tour and some necessary security guidelines. It’s mainly a downward hike, so it’s easy to hike but please don’t underestimate it as you’ll be at 4300 m (14100 feet). The hike is along a part of the Apurimac Canyon which looks stunning and has various lookouts all over the place. At around 9:00 am, you will arrive at Waqrapukara enjoying the view over the mighty construct built decades ago. Here, your guide will explain you more about the background of the place and you will have time to explore the surroundings to take some unforgettable shots. Afterwards, you’ll have another picnic, directly in front of Waqrapukara, probably one of the most exclusive picnic spots you have ever had. Stunned by so much history and the spirit of the untouched and untouristy ruins, it’s time to head back to the car around 11:00 am (1 hour hike downhill - be aware that this is quite demanding for your knees), then back to Cusco so that you will arrive at your hotel at approximately 4:00 pm.
If you rather prefer to leave Cusco a little later, the order of the itinerary would be the same but the times would differ. In this case, you would be picked up from your hotel at 5:00 am and return from the Waqrapukara tour at 6:30 pm.
- Private transport with hotel pick-up from all hotels close to the Plaza de Armas (see "Pickup / Drop-off" info below)
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide
- Breakfast and lunch picnic
- Trekking poles
- Local snack + coca leaves
- Communication radios
- First aid kit and oxygen
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco city
- 3:00 am - 4:00 pm or 5:00 - 6:30 pm
- Bring your backpack, a rain cape and layers of clothes so you'll be warm
- Take gloves, a hat, hiking shoes + an extra pair of socks with you (in case of snow) and if you want to you can bring hiking poles as well
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and (2.5L of water per person - you can leave the big bottle in the car and take an additional 1L bottle with you for the short hike)
Terms of Reservation:
- If you want to book for 3 people or more please use the discount code "3WAQ" during checkout and you'll get $10 off per person.
- Minimum 1 day before
- Minimum 2 people
- If there are not minimum 2 people in total you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 40% refund.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
Pickup / Drop-off:
- Pickup from your hotel (only if your hotel is close to the city center of Cusco. In case you stay further away, meet up at the Plaza de Armas - taxi cost approx. 10-15 Soles)
- Drop-off at Plaza de Armas (due to the rush hour that might leave you waiting 1-2 hours in the van in case we'd drop-off every participant)
- Private tours include pickup from- and drop-off at the hotel.
- We are not to be held liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
Exploor's Exclusive tours combine unique experiences with great deals and are operated directly by Exploor.
Information about the Local Guides:
We only select the best guides whose services comply with our quality and security standards.