City: Machu Picchu, Mountains // Activities: Visit of Machu Picchu //
Welcome to the most popular tourist attraction in Peru. A tour to Machu Picchu: many call it "the most beautiful place of Perú". Do you want to get to know the imperial city of the Incas? Enjoy a private day trip to Machu Picchu that will take you through all the roads that were made by Peruvian ancestors. Get to know all the details about Pachacutec, about Hiram Bingham, the discoverer of Machu Picchu and about all the historical events and stories related to it. Be prepared for vivid descriptions of the tour guide that make you feel like you were time traveling and enjoy what makes Peru so popular in the entire world.
There are two different train options:
Expedition (normal) train:
The Expedition train is a tourist standard service with semi-panoramic windows. On board, you will be offered a simple snack that consists of a cold or hot drink and a sweet or salty option. Watch the video about the Expedition train.
The Vistadome train is the more luxurious option that has carriages with panoramic windows to the sides and on the ceiling so you can enjoy the landscape on comfortable leather seats. On board, you will be offered a snack elaborated with regional Andean products. On the way back, there will be a 20-minute show on board including a typical dance offered by the staff. Watch the video about the Vistadome train.
Our recommendation is to spend the night before the Machu Picchu day tour in Aguas Calientes so that you sleep a little longer and have a more relaxed experience. Please let us know whether you would like to have your guided tour in the morning or in the afternoon.
|Departure time of train||Return time of train|
|5:05 am||2:55 pm, 4:22 pm|
|7:00 pm (the night before from Ollantaytambo)||6:20 pm|
|Departure time of train||Return time of train|
|7:05 am||4:22 pm|
If you want to take the Vistadome train and visit Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, we recommend taking the Vistadome train to Aguas Calientes the night before you.
If you choose the Expedition train you will be picked up at your hotel two hours before the departure time of the train, if you choose the Vistadome train you will be picked up 1 hour before departure time (for all the hotels close to the Plaza de Armas) and head to the train station where you will board the train and make your trip to to the village of "Aguas Calientes" (2000 m).
Upon arrival at the train station, our guide will be waiting for you to accompany you to the bus that brings you to the entrance of Machu Picchu. It takes about 30 minutes by bus until reaching the incredible Wonder of the world "the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu", known as "the lost city of the Incas". When you arrive at the citadel of Machu Picchu, you will pass through the control where you receive your ticket. From this point on, the private tour will start and you will visit the main areas of the city such as the main square, the circular tower, the sacred solar clock, the royal quarters, the temple of the three windows and the cemeteries for approximately 2.5 hours. At the end, you will have free time to take a walk through the citadel and to visit Machu Picchu, the sun gate etc.
Then, you will return to the town of Aguas Calientes and you have the option to eat in one of the many restaurants (not included). Afterwards, you will take the train back and arrive in Poroy or in Ollantaytambo (please arrive at the station 30 minutes before the departure time of your train). When you arrive at the train station in Poroy/Ollantaytambo, please leave the station because outside our guide will be waiting for you to take you to your hotel in Cusco.
- Round trip train tickets
- Private transfer from your hotel (for all the hotels close to the Plaza de Armas) in Cusco to the train station in Poroy/Ollantaytambo and back to Cusco with drop-off at your hotel
- Professional English-speaking private guide
- Bus transfer from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Sanctuary
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (if you choose the option above)
- Everyday from 04:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Our recommendation is to spend the night before the Machu Picchu day tour in Aguas Calientes so that you sleep a little longer and have a more relaxed experience.
- Wear light shoes, a long sleeve shirt, long pants and bring a raincoat during rain season
- Drink lots of water during the excursion
- Take insect repellent, sunblock, sunglasses and a hat for sunny days with you
- Only use hand luggage for your tour to Machu Picchu, no big suitcases please (you can leave them at your hotel)
- Bring your camera or video camera
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 1 week before (so that the train tickets can be reserved before)
- Minimum 2 people
- In case you would like to climb the Huayna Picchu mountain, please make your reservation at least 2 months in advance.
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel minimum 5 days before the start of the tour you will receive a refund of 50% (only in case the train tickets haven't been bought yet).
- In case the entrance tickets (Machu Picchu and/or Huayna Picchu) are bought by us already, the price of those tickets cannot be returned or claimed.
Pickup / Drop-off:
- Pickup from your hotel
- Drop-off at your hotel
- If you want to go to Huayna Picchu (you have to make your reservation approx. 2 months before) or to Machu Picchu Mountain you will visit the archaeological complex of Machu Picchu for 2 hours with our guide before he will drop you off at the starting point of either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. Also, please consider the following:
- There are 2 schedules:
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu/Machu Picchu Mountain at 8:00 am means entering Machu Picchu at 6:00 am and taking your return train at 2:00 pm.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu/Machu Picchu Mountain at 10:00 am means entering Machu Picchu at 8:00 am and taking your return train at 4:00 pm.
- The entrance times have been fixed like this by the government and can't be changed.
- The seats in the train are chosen by the train company itself; there is no possibility to influence your seat from our side.
- Please let us know if you prefer window seats for the Vistadome train (no guarantee but we will do our best to coordinate accordingly).
- In the case of flight delays, inconveniences with the train schedule or bad weather (rain, landslides, etc.) we do not assume any responsibility.