Cities: All over Peru // Category: Food // Reading time: 8-10 min
All of us have been in a situation like that before: we are traveling in a foreign country and we don't know where we to go out to eat. However, we do not want to enter a restaurant and eat food we don’t know just to leave that one disappointed.
Checking restaurants online is not always helpful, because nowadays it’s easy to present oneself in a good light. And therefore making the right decision is quite a challenge.
That’s why in this article, we present traditional Peruvian food from cities such as Lima, Arequipa, Cusco, Puno, Paracas and many more so you can enjoy the incredible Peruvian kitchen during your journey.
What qualifies us to make these recommendations? We have been living in Peru for over 4 years already and we have been traveling through the whole country. This way, we have tried many different dishes in various regions.
In addition we keep getting many recommendations by our travelers and guides as well.
So let's dive deep into the culinary adventure of one of the best kitchens in the world. Get ready to find out more about Peru's traditional food regarding appetizers, main courses and desserts.
Peruvian dishes which you definitely have to try while traveling through Peru:
2. Papa a la Huancaína
3. Anticuchos de Corazon
I know it sounds weird, I got it, but the grilled bovine hearts (Anticuchos de Corazon) are so delicious!
Cities where you should try Anticuchos de Corazon: Lima, Cusco, Arequipa
Let's continue with the famous Ceviche, probably the most traditional Peruvian food. You should definitely try this dish when you are at a coastal city of Peru (such as Lima), because here the fish they serve is very fresh!
One interesting fact is that the Peruvian Ceviche is prepared completely different than in other South American countries.
The white fish is inserted in lime juice with onions and then it will be served as raw fish!
The Ceviche is always served with sweet potatoes (camote) and corn (choclo) in order to reduce the spice of the chilis.
For everyone that likes it a bit crunchy, you can add some more “canchita” (little maize kernel) to your Ceviche.
Cities where you should try Ceviche: Lima
5. Papa Rellena
6. Ají de Gallina
7. Lomo Saltado
When you are in the centre of Peru, keep your eyes open for the popular dish Pachamanca.
It is a traditional rural dish which consist of vegetables, potatoes, meat and it will be cooked under the soil.
Way back in the past it was served without any meat, but today you will find it with roasted meat, such as beef or pig (in the Andean region).
You can enjoy the traditional Pachamanca in the following cities: Huancayo, Tamara, Jauja, in the Amazon Jungle, as well as in the north & south of the Andean mountains.
Cities where you should try Pachamanca: Huancayo, Tamara, Jauja, Amazonas
Cities where you should try Cuy: Cusco
10. Arroz con Pato
This dish is a real Peruvian classic! The rice is cooked with a cilantro paste, spices and dark beer, which will give the dish an earthy flavor. In addition to that, you will get a roasted piece of duck (thigh or breast) which is served on top. This dish is famous in all of Peru and you will most likely find it everywhere.
The speciality of the dish is that it can be prepared in many different variations in regard of the rice-mix, consistency and the meat.
Another version is Arroz con Pollo, which is basically the same only that instead of duck you get a piece of chicken. Arroz con Pato has it origin from Lambayeque, a city in the north of Peru.
Cities where you should try Arroz con Pato: Lambayeque, Lima
11. Pollo a la Brasa
Cities where you should try Pollo a la Brasa: Lima
12. Rocoto Relleno
Cities where you should try Roco Relleno: Arequipa
Cities where you should try Chaufa: Lima
14. Chupe de Camarones
Cities where you should try Chupe de Camarones: Arequipa
15. Tacu Tacu
17. Mazamorra Morada
We hope that you can try as many of the restaurants mentioned as possible during your Peru tour.
Or have you already been in Peru and we forgot to mention your favorite dish? Please let us know in the comments what your favorite dish is and where we can eat it. :) By the way, if you live in the United States and you'd like to know where you can get Peruvian food products, we highly recommend Kosmos Peru.
And now that you know what is the best food to try in Peru, we also want to give you our recommendations for what to pack for your trip.
- Lomo Saltado - http://bit.ly/lomosaltadoflickr,
- Anticuchos - http://bit.ly/anticuchosflickr
- Papa a la Huancaina - http://bit.ly/papaalahuancainaflickr
- Pollo a la Brasa - http://bit.ly/polloalabrasaflickr
- Ceviche Papa - https://www.facebook.com/CevicheriaBamBam/
- Papa Rellena - http://bit.ly/paparellenaflickr
- Ají de Gallina - http://bit.ly/ahidegallinaflickr
- Pachamanca - http://www.huancahuasi.com/
- Cuy - http://bit.ly/cuyflickr
- Arroz con Pato - http://bit.ly/arrozconpato
- Rocoto Relleno - http://bit.ly/2Sz7Vb5
- Chupe de Camarones - http://bit.ly/chupeflickr
- Tacu Tacu - http://bit.ly/tacutacuflickr
- Picarones - http://bit.ly/picaronesflickr
- Mazamorra Morada - http://bit.ly/mazamorraflickr
- Alfajores - http://bit.ly/alfajoresflickr
In the same Category
- Top 10 Places to visit in Cusco - Most Instagrammable Spots
- The differences between Rainbow Mountain Vinicunca & Rainbow Mountain Palccoyo
- Discover our Humantay Lake Tour in Cusco
- Entrance to the Salt Mines of Maras will be prohibited from June 15th!
- Laws for using Drones in Peru - All you need to know
Related by Tags
- Laws for using Drones in Peru - All you need to know
- 10 Things to consider when booking a tour from a Peru travel agency
- Small Group Tours in Peru - Exploor’s Tours in Cusco
- The Best Restaurants in Aguas Calientes
- Cusco Tourist Ticket - All You Need to Know
- Machu Picchu Weather - All you need to know
- How to get a SIM card in Peru
- 9 typical Peruvian drinks
- The Best Restaurants in Arequipa
- The Best Restaurants in Cusco
- The Best Restaurants in Lima
- Which train to take to Machu Picchu? The different trains to Machu Picchu
- The Best Food to try in Peru
- Peru Travel Tips: 20 easy Spanish words & phrases you need to know in Peru
- What to pack for a trip to Peru? Peru packing list, planning and tips
- Machu Picchu Tickets - Important Information
- 11 Things you should know before traveling to Peru
- Tips and Insiders on what to do in Cusco - free city guide
- Free Wifi in Peru: where to find free wifi in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa and elsewhere
- The best places to stay in Peru